[TriLUG] Fwd: Hans Reiser leads cops to wife's body.

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Thu Jul 10 22:43:23 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Ron Joffe <rjoffe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2008 10:13, Greg Brown wrote:
>> > But that brings a more serious topic to hand. One of the ideas behind
>> > incarceration is the idea that the convict is "Paying back society".
>> >
>> > Couldn't we have Hans pay back society by continuing to work on an open
>> > source
>> > project ?
>> >
>> > Ron
>>
>> Punish him by allowing him to continue doing exactly what he was doing
>> before he elected to commit his crime?  Um... no.
>
> Punish him by removing his freedom of movement, but have him pay back to
> society by working on open source (actually any open source would do).

Furthermore, in this hypothetical he should not be earning money from
Namesys while in prison, so at least some of the reward of the work he
was doing before being imprisoned would be taken away from him.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But