[TriLUG] IP Addresses and Geography...

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Fri Jul 11 06:11:31 EDT 2008

If you are interested in this kind of control there are solutions out there,
Network Access Control  (NAC) and Network Access Protection (NAP) team up to
make a very controlled environment.

The ideas are that when a workstation joins your corporate network it's
placed in a DMZ of sorts until it checks in to report it's health state, AV,
updates, etc, then a set of services on your corporate network decides if
it's up to spec, If it passes, it's then given a "real address", if not
there's either remediation steps, or isolation.

This can be used to only allow machines to see internal devices if they are
up to your standards, and have your corporate install, but if a personal or
vendor device they get to see the internet and nothing else.

It's a complicated scenario, but a growing number of larger companies are
going there.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/032907-open-source-swarms.html

Kevin