[TriLUG] Voice over IP information

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 12:46:24 EDT 2008

When I bought my new house I ported my Bell$outh home number to
Vitelity.com. While in theory you can port your number from any phone to
the International Space Station, move 10 miles away and Bellsouth will
issue you a new number.

While call quality with Vitelity (like any SIP provider that relies on
the Internet) hasn't been perfect, it has been well worth the money. We
save a bundle on landline charges and fees. Search my blog if you want
to know just how much it means to me to not give money to AT&T!

As for software, set up an Linux box with FreePBX. Its one of the best
Asterisk interfaces I've seen.

Cheers!
--
Mark Turner