[TriLUG] Voice over IP information

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 14 14:33:26 EDT 2008

---- Mark Turner <jmarkturner at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, a Bellsouth tech (one of the few positions in Bellsouth I trust)
> once told me that a number can be ported only x number of times, and
> that every place its been ported simply points an incoming call to the
> new destination. Thus each port also adds a bit of latency to the call
> completion (though I can't imagine *much* latency).

In the olden days it probably was done something like that. Now a switch relaying a call out of area (LATA) does a lookup for the authoritative server, the authoritative server points them to the right carrier and entry point, and then hands call control over to them.

The authoritative carrier is determined by NANPA which maintains the database. Eventually we'll need to setup a more centralized authority rather than have it spread out to the various carriers... but that is a debate going on behind the scenes.  Pretty exciting times to be a Telecom.

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel