[TriLUG] Voice over IP information

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Mon Jul 14 22:04:39 EDT 2008

When a number is ported it is assigned an LRN (they use to call these
ghost numbers). When someone calls a ported number it is first routed to
the originating CO and the routing in the switching system then points
it to the LRN. The NPA-NXX-Stn of the LRN will direct that call to the
correct CO that the NPA-NXX is assigned to.

Whenever, a call is ported to a new provider the originating CO changes
the routing to a new LRN.

To my knowledge FCC tariff will not allow there to be such a thing as a
maximum number of ports to a number.

That was all set in those heady days of change when MCI (now defunct and
Verizon Business) dared to challenge the "TELEPHONE COMPANY".

Ex-MCIer

73,
Neil,WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!