[TriLUG] OT - number of circuits needed

Glenn Hennessee glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:53:34 EDT 2008

I'm looking for some advice on how many 20 amp circuits would be needed
for the following scenario:

36 Dell Inspiron 530 computers
12 APC 800VA/540 watt UPS (3 530s per UPS)

I  haven't been able to find anything on Dell's site as to how much
power these systems consume. They are running without monitors so
monitors don't figure into the power consumption. I'm sure the APC units
will also consume some power but I haven't been able to determine that
at APCs web site. Right now all 36 computers (no UPS) are running on 3
20A circuits but it very close to tripping the circuit breakers. I'm
assuming the APC units will draw power for their own use as well but how
much is the question. I would think that 6 total circuits with 2 UPS and
6 PCs per circuit would suffice but could we get away with 4 total
circuits with 3 UPS and 9 PCs per circuit?

If anyone has some advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
glenn

--
Glenn Hennessee