[TriLUG] wired telephone service

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jul 18 09:06:40 EDT 2008

James Jones wrote:
> I am not ready to completely divorce myself
> of a wired telephone, but I would like to reduce my costs as much as
> possible on a plain old telephone service for my home.
>
> I am in Wendell. Other than AT&T/Bellsouth, what other options are
> there for me. Ones that are much less in cost?????

I'm guessing you've moved from somewhere else that has deregulated local
phone (PSTN) service for residential customers?  This isn't available in
North Carolina yet as far as I know.  Residential customers are still
pretty much stuck with the ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier).  If
you are a business there are plenty of providers available when you get
into the realm of digital multi-line service, but for single-line analog
service there's no competition yet.  This lack of competition is part of
the whole reason people are so gung-ho about VoIP options.

It's worth checking to be sure you're on AT&T's cheapest plan however.
BellSouth used to offer an extra-cheap plan that had very little local
calling area, but charged per minute for most calls.  I'm not sure if
this is available any longer but it's worth digging for, if you're not
going to use the phone much.

--Jeremy