[TriLUG] Tunneling SIP over OpenVPN

Chander Ganesan chander at otg-nc.com
Tue Jul 22 09:19:20 EDT 2008

A little background...

We use OpenVPN here as our VPN solution (works great, highly recommend
it, fairly idiot-proof once installed, and is smart enough to only route
specific networks through the VPN), and Asterisk here for our PBX.
We've more-or-less standardized on Polycom Soundpoint IP 50x series
phones for the office as well.

I'm trying to put a phone at the home of one of our employees, and am
running into a bit of a problem.  I've configured a DD-WRT router as an
OpenVPN endpoint (very nice!).  Basically, it is on the "lan" side of
the firewall, and as such packets can flow freely through it (iptables
is in accept/forward mode for that interface) both ways.

The problem I have is with SIP.  A polycom on one side of the endpoint
can communicate with the back-end asterisk server and register with no
problems.  However, phone calls have some issues.  Voice is
uni-directional, with some significant lag (the phone transmits audio,
but does not receive it).  In my experience, this is typically a result
of NAT, but I specifically have NAT disabled on that interface...so I'm
at a loss.

As a side note, I'm not using bridging ...

Has anyone else tried/done this?  Any tips/pointers/suggestions?  I have
the milkfish firmware installed, but I really don't want to go the
milkfish route - unless I can install a local milkfish server and
traffic never leaves my private network...

thanks

PS.  This setup, IMHO, is really cool.  I can put a $70 linksys at
someones home or a remote office, they can plug their PC into it (any
number of PC's actually), and get access to the corporate network.  It's
basically a VPN endpoint that allows me to almost seamlessly extend my
network, is secure, has some DoS prevention stuff in place, and is
manageable from our main office....  I can go further with the endpoint
to disallow attached devices by MAC, and even use syslogd to push logs
to a central log server.  And once its out of the office, I can upgrade
it remotely as needed...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.