[TriLUG] httpd probe issues

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Aug 12 10:07:09 EDT 2008

If you're interested in filtering using iptables, I would highly
recommend shorewall.

Shorewall is just a pretty front end to iptables.  It runs once, when
the system is booted, and from then on, its job is done.  The heavy
lifting is done by the iptables rules.

Like Joe mentioned, good iptables rules are divided into "policy" (drop
everything) and "rules" (unless it comes from my house, unless it's
going to port 80, etc).  Shorewall has a couple of config files named
"policy" and "rules".

My examples are below.  Notice that shorewall has a lot of fancy options
like limiting the rate of traffic on certain ports.  All of this is
optional.  But these guys have done a lot of good work to make a tool
that is easy to configure.

Alan

### POLICY ###

# Accept traffic from my local (in-cube) network to this firewall.
loc  fw  ACCEPT

# forward local-to-net traffic
loc  net  ACCEPT

# allow internal traffic
loc  loc  ACCEPT

# allow outgoing traffic
fw  loc  ACCEPT
fw  net  ACCEPT

# do not allow incoming traffic (unless a specific rule applies)
net  fw   DROP  info
net  all  DROP  info

# THE FOLLOWING POLICY MUST BE LAST
all  all  REJECT  info

### RULES ###

# ACTION  SOURCE  DEST  PROTO  DEST  SOURCE  ORIGINAL  RATE  USER

ACCEPT  net  fw  tcp   22    # SSH
ACCEPT  net  fw  tcp   80    # HTTP
ACCEPT  net  fw  tcp   903   # VMWARE
ACCEPT  net  fw  tcp   5900  # VNC