[TriLUG] finding a MAC address

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Aug 15 11:35:47 EDT 2008

Matthew Pusateri wrote:
> Amazing how when someone needs to buy a switch they say I don't need a
> managed switch, or a web managed will do(instead of an actual console
> port).  But when trouble strikes how much in lost productivity $ does
> it take to cover the cost of a low end $600-$1000 switch as opposed to
> a cheaper one.

Well, we've been in business since 2001 and never needed one before.
We've upgraded switches every 2-3 years...so that cost difference
between a $800 switch and $200 switch is $1800 over the years.

As the person responsible for making that decision, I am not
regretting that decision at all.  Not a bit.  Particularly since
back when we were just a startup, that cost would have come directly
out of my paycheck.  :>

Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services