[TriLUG] Password History

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Thu Aug 21 12:45:23 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:31:36PM -0400, Ron Young wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where linux/unix stores password history?  I would like
> to clear the history for my account.  I have root access to the server but
> it is very stubborn given my ignorance!
>
> I would like to use my regular password on this particular HP UX (yuk)
> server.  Someone inadvertently changed it for me and I would like to set it
> back to the original.

That sort of thing is going to be specific to a Unix flavor.  A quick google
found:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1219336954059+28353475&threadId=755299

which claims it is stored in /tcb/files/auth/system/pwhist/

As root you should be able to turn history enforcing off as documented here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/B3782-90717/ch03s06.html

(assuming the above matches your version of HP-UX)

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
      http://www.eviloverlord.net