[TriLUG] Detecting rogue wifi access points

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Thu Aug 21 14:55:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 02:39:29PM -0400, Matt Frye wrote:
> I'm looking to find out what's needed to detect rogue wifi access
> points in an office.  Anyone have experience doing this?

Kismet/mac?  It can find points that aren't broadcasting SSID (assuming that
someone is using them).

Do a wired TCP scan for devices with port 80 open?  Most access points have a
built-in webserver.  This is going to find printers and other devices too.
Maybe even the coffeepot...

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
      http://www.eviloverlord.net