[TriLUG] short read on mke2fs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Aug 30 23:23:54 EDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> Writing inode tables: done
> ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
> in short read while creating root dir

the problem appears to be that fdisk didn't have the right
size (number of cylinders) for the disk. My 2.4.x machine
gets the disk size wrong with USB more than occassionally. I
usually have to reboot the machine. I went back and
repartitioned the disk, with fdisk reporting a different
number (presumably the correct number) of cylinders. This
time the mke2fs went fine.

Thanks Joe