[TriLUG] best flash-based linux?

Brian Phelps brphelps at ieee.org
Tue Sep 2 17:10:22 EDT 2008

I wrote an article / blog post about this using Debian and a custom
initrd script:
http://electronjunkie.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/31/

It is best to use some type of RO flash file system unless you have
unlimited amount of RAM or a really tiny distro and can load the whole
FS into RAM.

If you don't use squashfs, just pass the name of your custom file
system mounting script to the kernel cmd line. I recommend using
unionfs and tempfs in your script though.