[TriLUG] Project

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:12:21 EDT 2008

Hello,My company is going to outsource a small project and I wanted to give
everyone on the list an opportunity to bid on it.

We currently have a conveyor-type system where items travel along a short
path.  These items have Code 39 barcodes printed on them.  The project will
consist of writing code that will read these barcodes with a Microscan
high-speed reader and will monitor a numerical sequence programmed in the
barcode.  If the software detects a break in the numerical sequence, it
should issue a signal to an i/o card installed in the box, which in turn
should send a signal to an attached sensor that will stop the machine.
 Basically we are monitoring these barcodes for a missing item.  If an item
is missing - stop the machine.

Other items to note:
- The barcode sequencing, programming and printing has been completed.
- The box uses Ubuntu
- Any language can be used for the code
- It can be GUI or non-GUI, but it has to be friendly to people who are only
semi-computer literate.
- Development must be done with an eye towards future plans to report these
scanned codes to a MySQL database that will monitor scanned items vs.
printed items.

If this sounds like something that you might like to do please email me and
we'll set up a call for all the grizzly details.

Regards,
Mark