[TriLUG] new laptop

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Sat Sep 6 08:37:30 EDT 2008

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on my Thinkpad T60.  I chose the integrated
Intel graphics, which uses the highly stable and free Intel driver and
supports sleep, hibernate, and Compiz.  I also have the Intel wireless
chip which seems to get better reception than most everyone I sit next
to at conferences.

The T60 is really well supported by Ubuntu.  CPU frequency scaling,
volume, mute, Thinklight (keyboard light), screen dimming buttons, auto
screen dimming on inactivity- in short, everything works.  I did have
the fingerprint reader working, but decided it wasn't worth it to
re-enable it after reinstalling.  Incidentally, I reinstalled only
because I wanted to encrypt the entire drive.

I have the 9 cell batter and get about 5 hours of batter life most of
the time.  I think the Active Protection system works, too, to protect
the harddrive in case of a fall.

In case it wasn't obvious, I love this laptop.  The keyboard is awesome.
 It's light enough to carry and powerful enough to replace my desktop.
I haven't run another distro on it, but I can attest to the fact that
Ubuntu seem made for it.  I've been thinking about an X200 or X300, but
I can't imagine it will provide a better experience than the T60.

Jim

jason tower wrote:
> i need a new(ish) laptop, something with a virt-capable cpu so i can run
> kvm.  probably a t60/61, can i safely assume those play nice with recent
> distros?  and if anyone has one for sale drop me a line :)

---Jim Tuttle