[TriLUG] Embarq High Speed Internet - Opinions?

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Wed Sep 10 10:20:17 EDT 2008

Neil L. Little wrote:
> I have had the Embarq High Speed Internet for a couple of years now.
>
> Living out in the boonies I was too far out for cable (The nearest drop
> is still 3 miles down the road)
> I was surprised when they upgraded availability.
>
> Remember this is dsl so its gonna be around 1.5mbs down. For my needs
> this is enough
> I think that they are working on an ADSL upgrade but not in my neck of
> the woods.
>
> As far as troubles, I have never had any of those.
>
> I have to occasionally reset the DSL modem. No big deal.
> They let you have complete access to the modem
>
> When they migrated email from earthlink to their own servers it was a
> smooth transition.
> The occasions that I have needed to ask questions I got a human who knew
> exactly what I needed and had the "correct" answer.
> They even spoke linux.
> They also have a chat feature. You connect to a "real" person and not a bot.
>
> These are my experiences with Embarq.

Thanks, Neil, for posting your experiences.  You mentioned that they
spoke Linux ... I noticed on their website under 'Requirements >
Operating Systems' that they list Linux, which is pretty cool.

One question:  do you know if they include a static ip in the service
charge or does one have to pay extra?

Thanks!

--
Chess Griffin