[TriLUG] Looking for the simplest stand-in temporary mail server

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Thu Sep 11 10:09:38 EDT 2008

> Don't change your primary MX in DNS... just add a secondary
> (that is, a second entry with a higher number than the primary).

The problem is that I don't have that kind of control over the DNS..  I
use dynip's dynamic DNS service, and I don't have separate MX records
(unless I want to pay a bunch more).

> Ask a friend who is already running a mail server to add your
> domain as a 2ndary MX.  When yours comes back online, you'll
> get all of your mail back.

I don't have such a friend, that I know of. :-(  But I could do this
myself, eh?  With the laptop?  Set up the server on the laptop the way
this hypothetical friend would set it up, to act as a 2ndary MX for my
domain?  Is that what the relay_domains = bit does?  I'm reading about
it now but wouldn't mind knowledgeable input. :-)

Sorry for my hand-holding questions..  It's been a really long time
since I've done any nitty-gritty MX administering (and I never did get
familiar with postfix, I know, shame on me!).

Thanks,
~B