[TriLUG] A bit of Linux motivational humor . . .

Maarten Lippmann m.w.lippmann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:48:28 EDT 2008

Indeed, Ubuntu does not deserve the level of opprobrium it is
receiving from certain parts of the linux community.
However it doesn't deserver the level of fanboi zealot defensiveness
it is getting from other parts of the community either.
The post was making fun of the all most popular distrubutions, and the
posts were funny as there is some truth in all of them. (even the one
regarding Ubuntu, don't be offended Douglas).
We just got 3 posts defending ubuntu and noone else feels the need to
defend their favorite distro, though I bet there's some trilug fans
out there for each one of the distros mocked.
I'm a debian fan myself, and am quite arrogant about that; the picture
is right on.

Ubuntu doesn't need any more defense than the other distro's, they all
suck or rock for different reasons from different perspectives.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got to say I know more people that use Ubuntu than any other
> distribution *as a desktop* Linux system.  The upgrade cycles are easy and
> the support is well documented.  I haven't been running Linux as a desktop
> for quite some time but the last time I booted a live CD of Ubuntu I was
> quite impressed.  The uber-geeks can, and still do, roll their own
> distributions and for everyone else inbetween there is 1000 varieties of
> Linux to choose from.  It's all good.
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Kevin Hunter <hunteke at earlham.edu> wrote:
>
>> At 9:05pm -0400 on Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Douglas Whitfield wrote:
>> > I don't see why Ubuntu helping people is a problem?  Ubuntu gets a lot of
>> > flack for being user friendly.  I'm happy for people to jab at Ubuntu for
>> > not being as free as possible, but seriously, unless stuff is easy,
>> people
>> > aren't going to use it.  The rest, however, I found funny.
>>
>> I have forgotten in what circle this came to me, but I (re)post here:
>>
>> "In defense of Ubuntu" (19 Aug 2008)
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/294542/
>>
>> Kevin
>> --

Use plain text, HTML or PDF (adobe acrobat) in stead.

"Is 't noodlot, dat ick vall', van eere en staet berooft,
Laet vallen, als ick vall', met deze kroone op 't hooft,
Dien scepter in de vuist, dien eersleip van vertrouden,
En zoo veel duizenden als onze zyde houden.
Dat valle streckt tot eer, en onverwelckbren lof:
En liever d' eerste Vorst in eenigh laeger hof,
Dan in 't gezalight licht de tweede, of noch een minder
Zoo troost ick my de kans, en vrees nu leet noch hinder."