[TriLUG] Video Card Troubles Ubuntu Studio

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 11:57:07 EDT 2008

I have an older machine that has been running Ubuntu Studio 7.10 for
awhile. Yesterday I decided to install US 8.04 on this box (clean
install.) For the most part the install went fine, but I'm only
getting 800x600 resolution from my card - Geforce2 MX400. I installed
the proprietary drivers and then I end up with only 640x480. Can't
seem to get any better. I did some google searching and it seams
others have had the same problems. No real fix for it from what I can
tell. Several were able to get it working after installing EnvyNG
several times others modified the xorg.conf. I messed with it most of
the day yesterday and got no where.

So, if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Otherwise, anyone have a decent AGP4x/8x video card laying around they
would like to get rid of for cheap? I guess it doesn't matter if it is
Nvidia or ATI, just that it works with US 8.04 and newer than the
MX400.

Thanks,
Brian