[TriLUG] Help with caching dns server

jason tower jtower at cerient.net
Tue Sep 16 14:34:00 EDT 2008

and what we discovered during chris's install is that you don't even need to use
/etc/hosts to get name-based lookups.  as long as the dhcp client sends its
hostname in the DHCPREQUEST packet dnsmasq adds that to the known host list.  so
if a client says "i'm PC635 and want an ip" dnsmasq will offer 10.0.0.139 and
remember the PC635/10.0.0.139 tuple for future lookups.  very nice.