[TriLUG] Help with caching dns server

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Sep 16 14:37:02 EDT 2008

Paul McLanahan wrote:
> dnsmasq++
>
> I've used it on an Ubuntu server, and now it runs on my Tomato-based
> wireless router. I set it up so that I can use private DNS for my
> internal machine names at my domain, and to forward all DNS requests
> from the house to OpenDNS.com. It was easier than it should have been.
>
> Paul

Since we're on the topic of dnsmasq and OpenDNS, here's a nice way
to get rid of that annoying behavior where a non-existent hostname
resolves to OpenDNS's web server.

In a browser, you'd see a page that says "you entered an address that
does not exist, maybe you meant BLAH".  But this really stinks for
anything other than a browser (SSH, ping, traceroute, IMAP, etc).

Put this in dnsmasq.conf and you'll get proper NXDOMAIN responses for
hostnames that should not resolve.

bogus-nxdomain=208.69.32.132

If you're running Tomato on a router, you should be able to paste that
line into the config box for additional dnsmasq settings.

Alan

.