[TriLUG] OT: Have a Job

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Fri Sep 19 10:58:47 EDT 2008

Seeking a full time software developer.

Required skills:

Intuitively 'get' object oriented design and the use of patterns.
Demonstrate proficiency in any of these (Java, C++, Ruby, Python)
Be able to check your ego at the door and work with a team.
Be able to estimate effort and deliver on time.

The work environment:

You'll work in a team of 5 back end developers with some additional
front end, graphics, and admin folks. We develop custom web based
software applications. The use of, contribution to, and integration with
existing Open Source projects is encouraged. Most custom development
here is done in Python using Django with a Flex front end. Some PHP,
Java, Pearl, Bash, SQL, Javascript and ActionScript chops are needed
from time to time. Among the team members, we have all of these skills,
so don't fret if you are missing some of these.

Use of Linux and Open Source is highly encouraged. Use of Solaris, Mac,
and non-GPL licenses is sometimes tolerated. Firefox, Thunderbird, and
OpenOffice are encouraged as the standard desktop apps. Install Eclipse
if you like it, or do everything in VI. We don't really care. Just write
good code and get it done on schedule. The only hard requirements here
are that you use our Subversion and Trac systems.

The company will provide you with a desktop PC as well as centralized
development resources. You are expected to install and maintain your own
development environment on the Linux distro of your choice.
Alternatively, you can have our default centrally administered Ubuntu
desktop managed for you.

Work hours are flexible. We prefer that you show up most days by 11AM.
If you are the type to do your best work at 2AM, then so long as you
remain productive you'll get a lot of wiggle room.  We do expect roughly
40 hours every week. This is a salaried position. We offer typical
benefits (health, dental, 401k). The company is 7 years old, privately
held, and has increased total revenue every year since it was started.
You'll recognize most of our customers by name (fortune 500 types). Our
pay scale is probably on the low end for this market, but we like to
think our work environment offers a lot of intangible value for the
right employee. We're located in Morrisville, on the lake, just a couple
of miles from the airport.

Email me off list with a resume, salary requirement, and a preferred way
to reach you.

Ryan Leathers
Director, Information Technology
American Research Institute