[TriLUG] tab stops in a bash shell

Carl Schaefer trilug at carls.mm.st
Mon Sep 22 00:39:29 EDT 2008

| i'm trying to control tab stops on printed output. by default, as you
| probably know, tab stops in the bash shell are set for every 8 positions. i
| want to set them to a different set of values that are not evenly spaced. i
| thought that setterm would do this but it appears to not have the set of
| options that i would expect it to.

if possible, I'd run the output through expand:

EXPAND(1)                        User Commands                       EXPAND(1)

NAME
       expand - convert tabs to spaces

SYNOPSIS
       expand [OPTION]... [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
       Convert  tabs in each FILE to spaces, writing to standard output.  With
       no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

.
.
.