[TriLUG] Career planning - certs(?)

wejii at bellsouth.net wejii at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 25 21:02:15 EDT 2008

I think you will find some great advice from real experienced people here in TriLUG.

I noticed someone mentioned volunteer. That is a fantastic way to get experience ( it is a valid resume item ) and you get to find out if you really like the work. Plus it's a great way to make contacts that can get you in the back door of the hiring process.

Certifications impress personnel managers because they are ignorant and usually overwhelmed by the number of applicants. That being said, sometimes there is no other way into the club without one.  Some are good, but be realistic,  you just can't learn everything from a class and a book.

The RTP market is tough now.  You may be competing against people with Master's degrees ( no exaggeration ).  Go to South Dakota and you might be employed within a week.  It's not impossible here,  just more difficult.

After you get a job you must stay ahead of the curve. Go for as much advanced education as you can get. 10 years from now nothing in the profession will be the same.  What I am saying here is; if you want to survive in the field constant education will be mandatory.  Often on your own time and at your own expense.  Otherwise, get into management.

Finally, a very useful book (on many levels) is "What Color is Your Parachute" by Richard Bolles.

Good luck.

Walt