[TriLUG] Parallels

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:39:16 EDT 2008

I can 1/2 answer your question.  I have a legacy client that runs XP under
OS X and used both Parallels and VM-Ware Fusion and I can report that if
you're going to spend $80, Fusion is the way to go, at least under OS X.
Fusion has proved far more stable over the eight month test window and any
further "OS in a OS" deployed by me will be Fusion based.

Parallels did work, though, but it also locked up occasionally and didn't
recover from sleep well at all.  USB devices under Windows via the host OS
were tricky as well (Fusion seems to deal with USB much better).  Also, in
the older version of Parallels (and this has bee hopefully fixed) IPv6 would
cause the OS under emulation to vomit on itself rather dratically.

Greg