[TriLUG] SuSE Neworking Issues

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Tue Oct 7 16:35:59 EDT 2008

Warren Weber wrote:
> Setup -- SuSE 10.2 server-to-be, IP address a.b.c.202, netmask
> 255.255.255.0, default gateway a.b.c.170
>
> Router -- LAN address a.b.c.17, netmask 255.255.255.0
>     WAN address a.b.c.170, netmask 255.255.255.0

Am I reading this correctly? It looks as though you've got both the LAN
and WAN addresses on the same subnet and you're attempting to use the
WAN address as your default gateway. If so, I think you've got your
wires crossed. Let us know if you need it explained. I'm suspecting it's
a typo, though.

If that's not it, then I'd recommending checking the following things:
+ Are you doing any packet filtering on the router that would affect this?
+ Is it possible that there's another node that's using the same IP
address? Check "arp -n" from the router and compare the MAC address.
+ Use tcpdump on the router and watch how it handles traffic to/from
your new node.

Are there any other variables we should know regarding this new node? Is
it a native host or is it virtualized? Are there multiple ethernet
adapters in it? Is there anything going on at layer 2, like a switch
that's doing VLANs?

Kind regards,
Justis