[TriLUG] Is it me or does Hardy run like a pig?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Oct 15 12:24:05 EDT 2008

At 11:06am -0400 on Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Jim Tuttle wrote:
> That wasn't my experience.  Although I don't actually gather metrics,
> anecdotally my experience has been that each release, including Gutsy,
> has been faster than the prior release.  I'm running Hardy now, but
> don't recall feeling that Firefox was sluggish.

I did a "fresh" install from Gutsy to Hardy (as in, separate root and
home partitions, so just kill the system partition and go from there).
Anecdotally, I can't say that the system feels much different
speed-wise.  I'd suggest that it's "just an incremental upgrade."

Firefox is a different story.  For my usage pattern -- i.e. lots of
tabs, a la "the stack method" -- it *is* slower, and crashes about as
often as FF2.  As a result, I've gotten "smart" about using it and now
split my browsing habits among multiple profiles.*  That has mitigated
some of the problem as I can split up the hundreds of tabs, and not
use/load certain shoddy/slow/(un)necessary add-ons.  Another thing I've
noticed is that Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- (font-page "zoom") are *way* slower.
I've filed a bug with their bugzilla about this, and it appears
confirmed for *nix hosts.

Kevin

* Command line hints:
  $ firefox --help