[TriLUG] Off topic: Side work

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:24:03 EDT 2008

My experience too.  El cheapo's out there.  One business book says you
should fire 20% of your customers. I believe it is more like 80% when doing
computer stuff for small companies and individuals.  The model which does
work is to hire a hisgh school geeks and charge $10/hr. Since the geeks are
90% clueless, they'll take hours!

Now, what you can do is try to upsell them. Maybe you could get in the
"backup" business or "hosting" business. You could make back your money over
a year.

The hugest ever insult is when a customer asks you to do something like that
or even to fix their computer after software from AOL or somewhere screws it
up and then turns around and pays $1000 for a computer from DELL when you
are selling the same specs for $500. That's when I decided "side work" is
not worth the hassle. People think because they talk to you on in person
they can scam you but somehow will blow money with a faceless company!

Tim