[TriLUG] Off topic: Side work

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:40:05 EDT 2008

It's a shame too, because most of these really small companies really need
the help.  They've got real problems, a lot of which need to be sorted out.
But most of the same companies don't have the money to cover their wants and
needs (or mistakes).

Case in point: campground on the coast.  I installed a "guest Wi-Fi" system
for then and it works well enough given the raw materials I've had to work
with (slow and unreliable ISPs, blah blah).  Anyway they hired a new guy who
kept saying "gee, at this camp in Arizona where I stayed last time we raised
the antenna five feet and it fixed everything."

"Ok, I see where you're going with this and, no.  Don't touch it.  The
problem isn't the antenna, we have problems with the IPSs and throughput
caps, blah blah blah."

And this morning I get a call that says "Gee, um, can you overnight fedex us
down a tower with guy wires?  We raised the antenna last week and it blew
over in a storm last night,"

Me: BAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!  (like I have one "in stock".. I have a
"day job" that takes most of my time, you konw)  (silencing and collecting
myself).  "Sorry, no."

Anyway, if I added up all the money I spent supporting that place I'd be in
the negative I'm sure.  But they are good people and really need help so I
bill them what they can pay.

But they're on the own for mucking with my antenna, which I told them not to
do.  Sometimes you have to tell the customer "no".  It's hard to do
sometimes, especially when you know they need to help and they've developed
into friends over the years but it's got to be done on occasion.

Greg