[TriLUG] Off topic: Side work

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri Oct 24 12:51:13 EDT 2008

I've been bit by another variant as a programmer:  the potential client
who asks for an estimate for how long it will take to change his (crappy)
code to do -whatever-.  Last time I ran into that, I spent several hours
doing an estimate and was told, "Hmm, ok, we'll get back to you."  They
got back to me all right--with another request for an estimate for a
different feature (first one still unimplemented).  Same story.  The third
time they called, having put many hours of free analysis in with no ROI, I
told them to find someone else.  For all I know, they still haven't
changed the code (6-7 years later).

I'm also still waiting on a fellow TriLUG member to get back to me about
some work I did for him, so... :-}

William Sutton