[TriLUG] Linux Netbook Reccomendations

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 08:23:24 EDT 2008

I took have been looking at netbooks, and size is a factor.  The Acer Aspire
One looks OK, but I haven't been able to use one but for about 2 minutes up
close (in Delaware).

If size isn't a factor, a regular size notebook would be almost as cheap.  I
picked up an Acer 5315 at Tiger Direct in July for $499 - they have a
similar one there now (2 weeks ago for $449).  BestBuy had an even better
Acer for $399 2 weeks ago as well.  15", 2gig, 1.8Ghz, 120-160gig drive,
full size keyboard, dvd, etc.  No webcam in mine, and no bluetooth.  I do
have 3 USB ports, 2 on the left and one on the right (stand up sit down
fight fight fight).

I'm not an Acer fanboy, or wasn't up until July.  IMO, a machine is a
machine, for the most part, BUT...  Ubuntu installed fine on my Acer 5315,
and it has an Atheros wireless chipset, so wireless worked out of the box -
very important for me.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Alexander Ray <alexjray.ncsu at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm looking at getting a little netbook to augment my current computing,
> and
> possibly be a test-bed machine for some OS-dev experimentation.  Does
> anyone
> have thoughts on netbooks that theyve had/used or heard about?
>
>  Size isn't really a factor, but price is.  I'm looking at the computer
> from
> sort of a more technical aspect; I don't really care about webcams etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ~Alex

Michael Kimsal
http://michaelkimsal.com