[TriLUG] Linux Netbook Reccomendations

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sat Oct 25 10:46:09 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Michael Kimsal <mgkimsal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where did you get your aspireone?  tigerdirect has one with XP on it for
> $399 at their raleigh store, but I've not seen any linux ones in stores
> around here.

I found mine at Circuit City a few months ago (the Linux version).  I
don't know if they still stock the LInux version, but I got mine for a
little over $300 (maybe $325?).  I find I use far, far more often than
my various Thinkspads (x40, t61, etc).  I love my Thinkpads, but man
the Acer is darn handy.  It has a much bigger and better keyboard than
the eeepc, and the LCD is a much larger 8.9" with 1024x600 resolution.

There are only 2 negative:  the battery life on the default 3 cell
battery is about 2 hours 15 minutes, tops, and the buttons for the
trackpad are to the left and right of the trackpad, instead of below
the trackpad, which is a bit annoying but you get used to it.

It's a 9/10 in my book based on a combination of features, price, and
hackability.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key:  0x0C7558C3