[TriLUG] cygwin reviews

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Mon Oct 27 17:56:03 EDT 2008

At 5:42pm -0400 on Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Jason Watts wrote:
> I am considering doing some rsync stuff between a few windows systems and
> have heard about cygwin a few times.  Does anyone on here use it and is
> there any other/better recommended things to use?  Just asking for opinions
> before I start installing things on my PC's

If it's *just* for rsync stuff, I might suggest to install piecemeal
what you need:

http://sf.net/projects/rsyncwin32/

If you want other *nix tools and functionality, then consider cygwin.
Cygwin's great (installing it right now, in fact), but it's not the
solution to *every* problem.

It's also one of those things that you'll need to use to get a feel for
it.  Don't be a PHB!  :-)

Kevin