[TriLUG] cygwin reviews

Jim Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Tue Oct 28 11:18:20 EDT 2008

Wing D Lizard wrote:
> Putty, pshaw.  cygwin rocks.  installing cygwin is the first thing I do
> when installing
> w32.  Even provides as an xserver when things get rough.
>
> b\375

Agreed.  One of the first things I do is to install cygwin also.  I used
to install OpenSSH for Windows so I could could connect to the Windows
machine over SSH and start a VNC session.  I suppose terminal server has
obviated the need for that these days, but being able to use SCP and
other integrated tools is pretty nice.  I think Microsoft should just
drop their OS, start building on a *nix kernel and adopt bash as the
shell.  It seems to have worked for Apple.

---Jim Tuttle