[TriLUG] mythtv and time warner cable

Josh Vickery josh at vickeryj.com
Wed Oct 29 14:55:01 EDT 2008

One thing about Time Warner that I *do* like is that almost all the
basic cable channels (local only really) are broadcast in clear QAM.
This means I can get HD service for $15/month. Not as cheap as over
the air, but I'm willing to pay that price to not have to futz with an
antenna.

One thing I *do not* like about Time Warner is that they change the
clear QAM channel assignments not all that infrequently. This isn't
noticeable if you are tuning them with a Time Warner box, but it means
that channels go missing if you are using a QAM capture card.

If you live in Durham, I've found this website
(http://home1.gte.net/res18h39/channels.htm) to be a great resource
for finding out where the missing channels went. It seems to get
updated as soon as the change, and it's faster than scanning through
all the 100+ channels and sub channels.

Josh