[TriLUG] OT - Vonage / AT&T Dsl combo

Bill Farrow list.mail.for.bill at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:03:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Craig Taylor wrote:
> I'm currently re-evaluating my options for at least 1.5k down & basic
> phone service (NC regional) as TimeWarner is just too much. Does anyone
> have experiance with Vonage (24.99/month unlimited residential) and DSL
> Lite(1.5k down)?

You can always try one of the cheaper VOIP providers. I'm using
www.callcentric.com as my SIP provider and TWC for internet, and I don't
have a fixed line phone service.

My monthly costs are:
  TWC (intro price) $29.95
  VOIP Dial In Number  $1.95
  VOIP e911 fee  $1.50

VOIP Calls cost $0.0198 per min outgoing, nationwide, and $0.015 per min
incoming.  So for example, in October we used 180min which cost $3.30.

I can't ever see us using enough minutes on the phone to make it worth
moving to the unlimited plans. Maybe if you have teenage kids, but they
tend to use the internet for communication.

My VOIP ATA box is the Linksys PAP2 (unlocked) which go for around $50.

Bill