[TriLUG] Setting up a DHCP server

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Nov 2 21:45:02 EST 2008

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Dwayne Arruza wrote:

> For example, "option routers" - what router? I have a
> Linksys WRT54GS performing the routing function. Is that
> the IP I need to use for this option?

yes

>        option routers 192.168.1.?;

whatever machine you would have as your default gw if you'd
assigned the IPs by hand

most likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

The first address is the usual router address. The second
address as the router allows you to establish a sensible
network which survives testing a commodity router in its
standard configuration on the same network. These commodity
devices come with IP=192.168.1.1 and will hose your routing.

>        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.?;

the broadcast address you would have used if you assigned
the IP by hand.

Almost certainly 192.168.1.255

>        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>
>        option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.?;

will be the address(es) given to you by your ISP. If you
have a local name server (may as well if you're going to
setup dhcpd), it will be the IP of your name server which
will most likely be your router. Your nameserver will use
the ISP's name servers as the "forwarder" entry. Your local
name server will have entries for all the local machines and
will forward all other request to the ISP's name server.

Joe