[TriLUG] asterisk question

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Sat Nov 15 22:03:25 EST 2008

As Matt said, Asterisk should do this, no problem.  On how *I'd* solve it (acknowledging others may do it differently):

. To restrict the dialing, configure one outbound route with just 911 and the property manager's phone number in the dial pattern.  No default route - calls complete only if they match the dial pattern.

. You'll need an FXO interface to the POTS line that can *reliably* return an error to Asterisk if it doesn't hear dial tone.   Digium makes such a card, and there are also many inexpensive FXO gateway boxes available.  I suggest such a box with one FXS and one FXO port, to give you the option to attach an analog phone to the FXS port for testing and future use.  Linksys/Sipura and D-link work well.  Grandstream is cheap (nuff said).  I've also used an AudioCodes 8-port FXO gateway box - worked fine, a little expensive.  Cisco hardware is trustworthy.

. The Asterisk trunks pointed to by the above outbound route could simply be the FXO port (POTS line) first, followed by one or more SIP trunks.

What I can't do is point you to turnkey Linux-based Asterisk boxes that boot from flash.  They do exist and the one I played with three years or so ago worked fine.

Last: providing 911 service is a serious matter so test well and regularly.  Make sure the caller ID the Asterisk system sends to your SIP termination provider(s) is the same as for the POTS line, and the POTS line has correct 911 information (street address) associated with it.  So no one's feathers get ruffled, use a recommended dialog when you do test 911, e.g. http://www.npac.com/cmas/co_docs/911-test-script-Wireless.doc or for the HTML version, http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:efpGcPPmkToJ:www.npac.com/cmas/co_docs/911-test-script-Wireless.doc+911+test+script&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Dave