[TriLUG] twm simple question, I hope?

Mike Norwood norwoodm at embarqmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:00:53 EST 2008

Hello,

I am trying to do something as simply and as quickly as possible, and
wondered if anyone might still be familiar with controlling the twm window
manager.  I wanted to use the simplest window manager that I could find to
do this one specific thing and this seems to be it.  I am opening one
terminal screen on startup, just xterm, which displays a software screen,
which allows for the scanning of a barcode.  When this barcode is scanned,
it opens a new window using the display (Imagemagick) program that shows a
picture of the item that is scanned.    This works, but the problem is
that I then have to click into the picture window to focus on it, so I can
hit escape to exit it.  I then have to click back into the application
window for the next scan.  Ideally I would like the new window to become
the focus when it opens, so that the person using it would just need to
view the picture, then hit escape, which closes the window and focuses
back on the previous window for the next scan.

I realize I have been a little long winded with this explanation, but if
anyone understands what I am asking and knows how to configure twm to
shift the focus of the windows back and forth without the mouse clicks,
your help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,  Mike Norwood