[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Nov 19 14:02:33 EST 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 02:25:00 pm magnus wrote:
> Neil L. Little wrote:
> > I was handed the "stick" first of the month. The "recession proof" IT
> > business got pulled out from under the company by a customer who pulled
> > a PO (after being invoiced!).
>
> Anyone who calls IT "recession proof" wasn't alive in 2001-2002.

Or the early 1980's, when I busted into the business by programming for
$7.00/hr, or right after the 1987 stock market crash, or in Southern
California 1990-1994, when the gulf war recession plus military base closings
made programming a game of musical chairs.

Also, you North Carolina people have no idea how good you have it. Here in
Orlando in January 2004 (it lasted much longer here than where you are), I
hired a freelance programmer for a project, but had to let him go because his
availability was too limited by his Burger King job, and his car didn't run.
He was a good programmer, but lots of us were flipping burgers back then.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US