[TriLUG] 1394 card for a Linux box

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Nov 20 13:45:30 EST 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Intrex carries add-on 1394 cards.  Go to
> http://www.intrex.com/parts/parts.aspx and select
> "Interface Cards" then "I/O Cards".  A 4 port PCI 1394
> card is listed as $10.99 before the TriLUG discount.

I'd forgotten about the TriLUG discount.

IEEE1394 is more standardised than is USB and most cards
should work with Linux. There is a page on the Linux
IEEE1394 devel website showing the hardware status of
various cards/chipsets.

However Intrex doesn't attempt to determine if their
hardware is Linux compatible - they usually say "it should
work with Linux, if it doesn't bring it back and we'll
refund the money". They always say "it should work with
Linux", when they obviously have no idea.

I've bought both USB and IEEE1394 PCI cards from Intrex.
They all are some brand I've never heard of, but contain
recognisable chipsets. Some of them work with Linux and some
of them don't. I remember once after finding a USB card that
worked coming back shortly thereafter (maybe a week later)
to buy 3 more. When I got them home, although the box was
the same, the cards were obviously different and didn't work
with Linux. Intrex refunded the money, which was nice, but
it was a bit of a nuisance.

I can't imagine with the fairly limited range of hardware
they carry, that a sample of each couldn't be tested out on
a dual boot machine, before hanging it on the wall. I talked
to the manager about this once day to find he has no say in
the hardware they carry. Someone higher up handles that.

Joe