[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Nov 21 17:26:22 EST 2008

On Friday 21 November 2008 01:35:16 pm Carl Crider wrote:
>  That seems to be the biggest issue for me right now ... being happy
> in your job. I really
> enjoy the work here. The learning curve has been the steepest yet, but
> I've made it through,
> and there is always a new, challenging project ahead. The downside
> being that I am a
> contractor (employee-like-personnel) and have no room to move up ...
> or laterally. I'm staying
> put but looking for something else because of the recent cuts.
> Luckily, the wife makes decent
> money and we're not in fear of losing our home. Searching for a gig
> right now is as tough as ever.
>
> Oh well.

Let me play devils advocate. Your wife has a regular job so presumably health
insurance isn't an issue.

As a contractor, I'd imagine you're billing them hourly, in which case they
don't make you work all day and deliver tapes all night because you cost too
much. You can write off all your computer related goodies against the revenue
from your gig. You can take a second gig without conscience (and if they say
you can't, I don't think you're a contractor and they'd better give you
benefits just like an employee). You'll move up by moving around, learning
more, and upping your rate. But don't try to up your rate right now :-)

STeveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US