[TriLUG] Email: HTML, replies, signatures, and signing

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sat Nov 22 14:14:46 EST 2008

I used pine in college and still have a preference for it (and alpine, to
a lesser extent).  HTML mail annoys me.  Unless there's a very good reason
for markup, mail should be text.  Anything else, particularly funky colors
and fonts, is abusive of the reader (another reason for pine, mutt, and
the like).

I know there's endless flamewares and lots of divided opinion about top-
vs. bottom- posting.  You're not going to satisfy everyone, so pick a
style and stay with it.  I tend to prefer top-posting because I don't like
scrolling past the 30 pages of replies (see also the recent not-Linux
off-topic thread) to get to the latest response.  Sometimes I reply
in-line to address various things item-by-item.  It's somewhat of the old
newspaper concept of above-the-fold (what's important is above the fold,
what's relevant is still on the first page or two, and everything else is
out of sight).

I'm not a big fan of quotes or signatures.  For business correspondence
and job searches, I sign with my name, address, and contact phone number.
Other than that, a name is sufficient.  Some security-conscious (or
paranoid) people will say that a name is insufficient.  I don't have an
opinion on that.

my $0.02.

William Sutton