[TriLUG] Email: HTML, replies, signatures, and signing

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sat Nov 22 14:18:25 EST 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:02:32 -0500
James Tuttle <jjtuttle at trilug.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been playing around with email configuration and wondered if
> others would mind sharing opinions.
>
> HTML?  I've never written HTML email till now mostly as a result of
> using Pine in college.  It seems like pretty much everyone can accept
> it and I find that when I reply and leave quoted text in my reply it's
> pretty damned ugly.

I cannot stand HTML email.  It drives me crazy.  I only use plain text.

> Replies?  Reply above the quote or below?  I've tried not to top-post,
> but it's annoying to others to reply below the quote, I suspect.

Below, unless replying point by point as I am now.  :-)  I think
non-techie people tend to top-post, but it's another pet peeve of
mine.  I always reply below even to the non-techies.

> Signatures? Email signature below the quote when replying or above?  I
> have been replying above the quote and placing the signature below,
> but that seems difficult for some to figure out.

Since I reply below the quote, I put the signature below.

> Signing?  I've been signing in-line and probably annoying people with
> the SHA-1 hash crap at the start of my email.  Almost no one knows
> what it means.  Yesterday I started signing with PGP/Mime, which is
> perhaps a little less obnoxious.  Any thoughts on signing and in-line
> versus PGP/Mime?

I have signed with PGP/Mime for years and it seems to work out ok.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key:  0x84F0D7B6