[TriLUG] Email: HTML, replies, signatures, and signing

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun Nov 23 22:37:32 EST 2008

At 9:58pm -0400 on Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Jon Carnes wrote:
> +1 for Top posting - It's what folks do naturally... so deal with it.

Trying to stay out of the conversation, but with this I can't resist ...
No, it's what *you* apparently do naturally, but you != all people.  "So
deal with it" is a confrontational attitude that doesn't help.

Most of the complaints about different styles of quoting have to deal
with respect.  Who cares what you pick; but, especially on mailing
lists, realize that the conversation is not *just* between folks who
respond.  Others will read the conversation, either as direct
subscribers of the list, or on the web later.

For the direct subscribers, it's a waste of bandwidth and disk space to
pass around so much useless data.  You may have broadband access, and
have unlimited email storage space, but others may not.  (A similar case
can be made for not using HTML.)

In my experience, folks tend to rationalize by saying "But Gmail does
the hard work for you, and gives you lots of space."  The space argument
is good, for not everyone uses Gmail.  Perhaps they "should," but they
don't, for whatever reasons.  But even those on Gmail do not necessarily
use the web interface.  As a simple counter-example, I don't.  I use a
mail client.

For the indirect subscribers, web surfers, forward recipients, etc.,
having the relevant parts of the context easily grokkable/greppable is
much nicer.  If you've ever searched online and run across an archived
mail conversation, you'll know to what I'm referring.

I don't care whether you top or bottom post.  But be consistent.  If the
second person in a thread has already bottom posted, follow suit.  If
they've top-posted, follow suit.  In either case, snip the irrelevant
parts.  It truly does not take that long.  And don't claim that you have
better things to do than "format email."  I, too, have better things to
do than trying to figure out exactly to what you're responding.

The point is that the respectful thing to do is not be lazy.  By taking
10 seconds of your time to conform to some space/time saving rules, you
save 3 seconds of everyone else's time.  But trying to bend everyone
else to "your" way of doing things is just plain rude.
(N people * 3 sec >> 1 person * 10 sec)

Kevin