[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Tue Nov 25 16:12:47 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Dave Sorenson <dave at logicalgeek.com> wrote:
> Ah but you were  a Grad student... the actual professor did not do 1/4
> the work.. that's why they have grad students.
>
> ;-)

Depending on circumstances, you may only have an easier time of things
if you've already got tenure. If you're on the tenure track, you can
get ridden hard: "Why didn't you apply for this grant? Why haven't you
published in $PRESTIGE_JOURNAL? Why are you advising fewer Ph.D.
students than Sally over here? Why haven't you created a new course
for us on $TOPIC_DUJOUR? ..."

Believe me, there can be plenty of pressure in academia. Both of my
parents have terminal degrees, and one had a couple of assistant
professor positions... it can be rough.

Clearly this totally depends on the discipline, department head,
committee, etc. etc. etc. Some faculty gigs are pretty rosy, sure, but
not all.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But