[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Tue Nov 25 16:21:24 EST 2008

And even if you are, sometimes the money dries up.  I had a Computer
Science professor who described his academic career somewhat as follows:

As an undergrad, he could never quite make up his mind what major he
wanted, so he bounced around.  Eventually he realised that if he took a
few more mathematics courses, he could graduate with a BS in math, so he
did.  He proceeded from there into topology, and eventually became a
professor in topology.

During the course of his tenure, a graduate student investigated a
particular question, found that it couldn't be proven, and published it
for his masters.  The same student then researched it from the opposite
direction for his doctoral degree and proved that it couldn't be
disproven, either.

At this point, my professor said, money for topology started to become
scarce.  Coincidentally, he was approached by the university about
becoming a CompSci prof.  Seeing the writing on the wall, he said, "I
believe I'm interested in computers..."

William Sutton