[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 10:07:35 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Neil L. Little
<nllittle at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> (you just had to start something didnt you?)
>
> Red Hot and Blue is Memphis style BBQ.
> First they dont slow cook the meat
> Second they use a dry rub (No vinegar)
> Third they use that tomato sauce crap
> Fourth there is no vinegar
> Fifth it aint no Carolina BBQ.
>
> The closest place that has decent BBQ is Olde Tyme BBQ off the Hillsboro
> extention (or is it Western Blvd.)
> This place has decent BBQ and a good Brunswick Stew. They also have a
> real decent Chicken Pastree (some may call this chicken slick but they
> would be wrong). For ya'll folk from above the Mason-Dixon line
> (Fer-ners) Chicken Pastree is not a confection but is a chicken stew
> with strips of dough in it. You could call it a Chicken Dumpling but you
> would still be wrong. Great comfort food.

Actually, Texas is below the mason dixon line and we call it Chicken Dumplings.
Its not a southern thing its a local thing.  I don't know how far you
have to go till they don't
call it chicken pastry, but I'm pretty sure they don't call it that in
Lousiana either, which is
also south of the mason dixon line.

As for the the no tomatoe barbeque, thats very local to north carolina
and only western north
carolina (Lexington style).  Barbeque styles are a plentiful, and its
not uncommon for a
single state to have more than one (I think we, NC, have two, but
maybe we have more).

In the Piedmont the style is clearly pork in vinegar.

...james