[TriLUG] Lightweight X Desktop

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Nov 28 21:41:04 EST 2008

Thanks for the suggestions.

To answer the few questions, I normally use KDE, with many keystrokes
configured. I used Fluxbox for a while, which I was thinking of using
but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried others. I've used joevm via
DSL before, but it's not what I'm really looking. XFCE is a little heavy
for me.

Steve,
As to your question, I'm using VNC over SSH from work to home on this
box. KDE and Gnome are obviously too thick for this. TWM is too user
unfriendly, as i do need some basic menus, more than the one with TWM. I
have a couple of X based programs that I would like to "click" as
opposed to opening via shell.

I guess I'm back to fluxbox (openbox fork). I'll look into ratpoison.
See how tiny it is.

Thanks for all the feedback.

:)